Question:
Is Chicago actually really windy?
magik ;)
2006-04-07 17:08:26 UTC
Is Chicago actually really windy?
Ten answers:
bobownsall
2006-04-07 23:28:37 UTC
Yes, in fact Chicago is quite windy due to its proximity to Lake Michigan. The wind results from a temperature/air pressure gradient that keeps air constantly circulating in the area. Due to the difference in heating capacities of the lake water and the city (the water heats and cools much more slowly than the city) the wind blows off the lake and into the city during the day, and at night the wind reverses directions and blows back out to the lake.
jockeygrrl
2006-04-09 15:12:05 UTC
It can be windy at times, but that's not where it got the name "Windy City" from. That term actually comes from politicians boasting about how wonderful the city was going to be during early stages of planning many years ago.
floridarvlotforrent
2006-04-08 00:30:24 UTC
Always windy by the lake
WC
2006-04-08 00:18:42 UTC
I've had people who was in Chicago during winter time tell me that Cchicago rightfully deserves the name "windy city".
lanilsson76
2006-04-08 00:10:43 UTC
Depends on what you compare it with. If you stand up in a convertible driving in 65mph, it is only slightly more windy.
vickyman
2006-04-08 00:12:10 UTC
is it windy, like today, I dont wanna go out at all. =)
♫♪♫ PINKY ♫♪♫
2006-04-08 00:09:00 UTC
yes, thats why its called the windy city...
MM
2006-04-08 00:16:32 UTC
IF YOU LIVE BY THE LAKE THEN IT IS VERY WINDY BUT IF YOU LIVE AWAY FROM THE LAKE THEN ITS NOT THAT BAD

I LIVE BY THE LAKE AND IS ALWAYS WINDY AND COLD. BRR
purplegreen1987
2006-04-08 00:19:08 UTC
it is, but the windiest city is Oklahoma City. Chicago is only the 10th windiest city!
Robo_Geek
2006-04-08 00:09:00 UTC
Mildy sometimes.