Question:
Any places to avoid in Chicago? Using the subway?
2006-02-20 14:47:28 UTC
My husband and I are planning a trip to Chicago for August/September. We already have some ideas of the places we'd like to visit, but are wondering if there are any areas in the city that we should avoid. We would hate to end up in a bad part of town. Also, any tips or suggestions about using the subway system to get around would be appreciated.
Six answers:
DLeibowitz
2006-02-23 03:39:02 UTC
You have to use common sense, like anywhere else. The subway (they call it the "el" even if it's underground at some points) is fine. You can get a week-long pass for a reasonable cost at the subway entrance at O'Hare. This will be good for the buses too. And bus service is pretty good.

People always say "watch out for the South Side" --- that's way too simple an answer. For example, Sox Park and Chinatown are on the South Side, along with a lot of really fine music venues. The Pilsen neighborhood has great Mexican restaurants and art, but getting there by public transit is not recommended for a tourist. Take a cab there and back.

There are definitely bad areas. Englewood and Roseland are not known for their night life or tourist attractions. Hyde Park - near the Univerity of Chicago has lots of interesting things to see, like the Museum of Science and Industry and the Oriental Institute (Middle East Museum). But you have to have your wits about you for Hyde Park at night. And I wouldn't really hang out at Uptown on the north-side at night either unless I knew the area. And I would watch out for areas on the West Side too - although there are not many tourist attractions there.

Nobody talks about bad areas in Paris or London but I can tell you from experience that there are some. So this is not about Chicago as such or even the USA.

If you go to places in your tour guide at reasonable hours, you will be OK. And if you are in an area where you are concerned, go back to your hotel by cab just to feel safe --you're on vacation.
Dradle
2006-02-21 19:54:01 UTC
The NEAR south side can be bad. I am from the south side though and where I grew up was FINE. Actually one of the weathiest neiborhoods in the city (Beverly Hills) it is has far south as you can go and be in the city. The south side can be strange because on one side of the express way it is fine on the other is the projects. Where the Sox play is like that stay on the side of the park not the other! I agree though the North siders act like the South Side is the worst place and so scary but its not true they are all just snobs up there.
zaaaaaa
2006-02-21 06:11:24 UTC
South Chicago is not bad. unfortunately the yuppies from the northside always think the south is ghetto, but it isnt, there's just not much to do. In the train stations they have machines where you can buy the passes for the train and bus. They do have special ones for visitors for either unlimited weekend pass or a week pass. Or the regular pass which one ride will cost you $1.75 and the transfer is .25 . you can check the website for fares or prices on the cards www.transitchicago.com.
Alibi
2006-02-20 23:20:28 UTC
South Chicago....=BAD=
2006-02-21 23:20:40 UTC